Physical therapy and fitness for adolescents and adults with Down syndrome
Dr. Mann has been working with adolescents and adults with Down syndrome since 2004.
She is a specialist in exercise assessment, exercise prescription, and exercise program development for this population.
Why do adolescents and adults with Down syndrome need physical therapy?
- Individuals with Down syndrome are at a higher risk for hip dislocation, hip pain, early hip replacement, patellar dislocation, poor posture, scoliosis, poor walking patterns, and foot pain - PT helps!!!
- PT and instruction tailored to the learning style of each individual with a focus on visual learning in a positive environment
- Orthopedic condition assessment and treatment
- Including but not limited to: joint pain (hips, knees, ankles, shoulders, etc.), low back pain, and foot dysfunction
- Supervised and structured weight management programs designed for individuals with Down syndrome
What does a PT program for adolescents and adults with Down syndrome look like?
- Individualized program designed and implemented by a licensed physical therapist
- Initial complete physical therapy evaluation, all 1 hour PT sessions completed at Mann Method PT located in Arvada, Colorado or via HIPAA compliant telehealth
- Expert instruction for upper and lower body strengthening, core strengthening, balance training, functional activities and cardiovascular equipment education
- Implementation of the evidence based MMPT principles to improve strength, stability, endurance, foot posture, gait, and balance and coordination
- Goals include improved gait pattern, improved posture, joint stabilization, improved strength, improved endurance, improved balance and coordination, improved safety awareness in a fitness setting, and ability to implement program independently in home or recreation
- In-person or via HIPAA compliant telehealth